The Poetry of Good Works
I've been thinking about this verse a lot lately:
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. Ephesians 2:8-10
Amazing stuff, but what really caught my attention was the word "workmanship". In the Greek New Testament, this word is "Poiema" which is the root for our English word "poem". It's a crazy thought, isn't it? God creates poems or works of art (in his eyes). But even before they are created, good works are prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. I certainly feel best when doing good works. But realizing that the entire process is God's "workmanship" or poetry is a staggering leap. I have to squint to glimpse its beauty.
I've been thinking about this verse a lot lately:
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. Ephesians 2:8-10
Amazing stuff, but what really caught my attention was the word "workmanship". In the Greek New Testament, this word is "Poiema" which is the root for our English word "poem". It's a crazy thought, isn't it? God creates poems or works of art (in his eyes). But even before they are created, good works are prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. I certainly feel best when doing good works. But realizing that the entire process is God's "workmanship" or poetry is a staggering leap. I have to squint to glimpse its beauty.
Comments