Andy and AFSOC

Just got back from a weekend visiting my brother Andy, an Air Force officer at Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) at Hurlburt Field in Florida. We had a great time and I was really impressed with the guys he works with. Everyone seemed incredibly fit and alert. Not only physically, but intellectually as well. A fascinating group. I also had a chance to re-connect with a family friend I hadn't seen in 20 years, "Uncle" General James Dozier. We all had dinner together on Saturday. General Dozier, by the way, said he does not recall ever seeing the level of motivation higher among US troops, particularly among those who have served overseas. This group of very bright and motivated people are grateful for an opportunity to make a difference in other parts of the world and help the Iraqi and Afghanistani people.

In a speech, General Dozier pointed out that the US had helped bring about culture change in the past through the military -- in a Nazi Germany turned into a peaceful Germany, in an Imperialistic Japan turned into a peaceful Japan, and now with a Taliban regime (check out this book for more) turned into a democratic parliament and an Iraqi dictatorship turned into a republic. I'd never thought of it that way and was impressed with what I heard.

Comments